I opened my fridge, looked in the vegetable drawer and despaired — I had four big parsnips almost past their best. Not in the mood for soup, I decided to roast the root vegetables and add them to my lunchbox throughout the week.
Perfectly Roasted Parsnips
- 4 large parsnips
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of sweet, smoked paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon of hot smoked paprika powder
- pinch of salt
- oil for roasting
1. Preheat the oven to 390ºF.
2. Peel and chop your parsnips. I chose to cut mine like fries, but any shape will do. The smaller you cut them, the quicker they will roast, make sure they are similar size so that they cook at the same time
3. Put your cut parsnip in a roasting tin; add nutritional yeast, both paprika powders, salt and a splash of oil.
4. The best way to mix it all up with with your hands, massaging seasoning and nutritional yeast into the parsnips.
5. Roast the parsnips until cooked and slightly caramelized in places, around 45 minutes. Serve as a side dish, with some protein and green salad. or eat them on their own as a snack. They're best served hot, straight from the oven.
Photo courtesy of the author