"Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it!" -Maya Angelou
Often when we reach for affirmations as a form of physical, emotional, mental and spiritual development, we read the words and then mindlessly do the suggested exercises without really connecting to our inner experience.
Affirmations have the power to completely transform our lives. The problem for many of us however, is that we wander around in our busy minds randomly repeating these affirmations with no real connection or feeling.
As humans, we crave experience and if we don't learn how to affirm what we want to feel then it's nothing more that a meaningless sentence.
An affirmation is a positive statement of how we envision our best self. It can be repeated in the mind and written down.
In over 10 years of being a positive development junkie, affirmations seem to be the one thing I never really found any benefit in doing, until mindfulness became the number one thing in my life. I would meander throughout my day saying things like, "Every day in every way I am getting better," etc.
That's all fine but what the f*ck does better really mean to me? Absolutely nothing.
The real power of affirmations became clear when I learned how to use them in the present moment and with feeling.
First, I will explain a few ways how NOT to do affirmations:
1. Don't affirm something that your soul isn't interested in.
You may think you want to affirm more money, a sexy partner or a shiny new car. These things are all great, but your soul is actually asking for you to stop and experience positive feelings such as peace, happiness, joy or clarity. All the funky external 'stuff' is a bi-product of experiencing positive feelings.
2. Don't take on someone else's affirmation.
Your soul has its own journey to experience, so taking someone else's affirmation won't truly resonate with the true essence of your authenticity.
3. Don't make affirmations too wordy.
Seriously, life is busy enough without having long winded affirmations. Keep it short and sweet.
4. Don't wander around mindlessly repeating your chosen affirmation.
It's like going to the gym for the mind. Stop and say them with purpose and presence. Add feeling to them and work that mind muscle baby!
And here are six easy steps to doing your affirmation correctly:
- Stop and get present.
- Connect with your breath.
- On your in breath affirm: "I AM."
- On your exhale say what you would like to experience "__________". I use 'peace' but it's important that you use the word that resonates with you.
- Take a few seconds to stay mindful. Have a heightened awareness of the present moment and let the affirmation sink into your consciousness before you repeat your affirmation.
- Make them a daily habit and let it happen organically.
Try changing your approach to affirmations with these tips and see what difference you can feel in your connection with them.
Photo Credit: Stocksy