Jon Stewart's career might be based on comedy, but this is no joke: He is officially leaving The Daily Show in mid-2015. After 16 years of revolutionary, satirical news reporting, the host unexpectedly told his audience Tuesday that this would be his last season — a fact that Comedy Central confirmed later that same day. While we may not feel like celebrating the news, we can certainly celebrate the impact he had on all of us.
To do that, we pulled together our favorite, most inspirational quotes from the comic genius that will make us think and giggle — usually both — for years to come.
- "If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values: they're hobbies."
- "The reason I don't worry about society is, nineteen people knocked down two buildings and killed thousands. Hundreds of people ran into those buildings to save them. I'll take those odds every fucking day."
- "We called her Mother Earth. Because she gave birth to us, and then we sucked her dry."
- "I want to look back on my career and be proud of the work, and be proud that I tried everything."
- "I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance."
- "You can use your idealism to further your aims, if you realize that nothing is Nirvana, nothing is perfect."
- "We hear every damn day about how fragile our country is — on the brink of catastrophe — torn by polarizing hate, and how it's a shame that we can't work together to get things done, but the truth is we do. We work together to get things done every damn day!"
- "Evil is relatively rare; ignorance is epidemic."
- "Love what you do. Get good at it. Competence is a rare commodity in this day and age. And let the chips fall where they may."
- "If we amplify everything, we hear nothing."
We can't wait to see what's next for the host with the most.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock