7 Ingredients To Add To Your Smoothie When You're Pregnant
Smoothies are nutritious, delicious and highly recommended to enjoy as part of your preconception/pregnancy diet. They are easy to digest, will increase your energy, stabilize your blood sugar levels and give you an instant burst of all the nutrients you need to nourish yourself and your baby.
This smoothie is so full of pregnancy goodness:
- Bananas contain vitamin B6, which is great for babies developing central nervous system. They also contain potassium, which can help leg cramps! Avocados are very high in folic acid, essential for the healthy development of the fetus in early pregnancy, in particular their neural tube.
- Pineapple is a nutrient-rich fruit that is low in saturated fat and contains fiber which can help to ease constipation, a common complaint during pregnancy. If you're trying to get pregnant, try eating pineapple during the week after ovulation because it contains bromelain, which thickens the uterine lining to help egg implantation.
- Chia seeds are loaded with minerals like blood building iron, stress relieving magnesium and bone building calcium along with your with omega 3's. Some studies have shown that chia seed enriched diets may improve insulin resistance and normalize blood lipids.
- Maca powder should be your best friend when you are trying for a baby as it will increase your energy and balance your hormones and its known to boost fertility levels!
- Almonds are referred as "The King Of Nuts" because they are very nutritious. They are an excellent source of the healthy fats, protein, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, and vitamin E. High in anti-oxidants and considered heart healthy.
- Finally, I have topped this smoothie with walnuts, which are high in anti-oxidants and rich in omega 3's, and goji berries, which are one of the most "nutrient dense" fruits in the world!
So…regardless if you're trying for a baby or not, this is a delicious treat of a smoothie that's great for breakfast, lunch or a midday snack.
The Ultimate Preconception/Pregnancy Smoothie
- 4 frozen pieces of pineapple chunks
- 1 small frozen banana, chopped
- 1/4 large avocado or 1/2 small avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of plant based protein powder
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 ice cubes
- 3 crushed walnuts
- 1 teaspoon goji berries
- sprinkle of organic shredded coconut
PreparationBlend all the ingredients together and top with toppings.