There are 4 factory-farmed chickens for every single American!
Michael Pollan recently tweeted about FactoryFarmMap.org, which has an interactive map to track factory farms, and loads of interesting and disturbing facts about factory farming in America. Here are some other facts from the site:
- The number of U.S. cows on factory-farm dairies nearly doubled to 4.9 million between 1997 and 2007.
- U.S. hog factory farms added 4,600 hogs every day between 1997 and 2007.
- U.S. factory-farm dairies added nearly 650 cows every day between 1997 and 2007.
- Between 1997 and 2007, U.S. factory farms added 5,800 broiler chickens every hour.
- U.S. industrial feedlots added nearly 1,100 beef cattle every day between 2002 and 2007.