I get asked all the time how to start a plant-based diet. The task of going completely plant-based forever can be very overwhelming. If you've thought about taking the leap, here's my advice: start with only one day.
At the end of the day you can assess how you feel and go forward from there.
This meal plan is designed for the plant-based newbie. You won't find any crazy ingredients here! Supplement the plan with your favorite plant-powered snacks in-between meals: my go-to's are veggies with hummus and apples with almond butter.
Simple 1-Day Meal Plan For The Plant-Based Beginner
All recipes are vegan & gluten-free
BREAKFAST: Cinnamon & Walnut Banana Maple Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 banana, sliced
1. Combine oats, water and dash of salt on a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring often, until thick (about 5 minutes). Stir in cinnamon and maple syrup.
2. Pour into a bowl and top with walnuts and banana.
LUNCH: Southwestern Salad
- 4 cups greens of your choice (I like romaine for this salad)
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup each: tomatoes, red onion, corn
- 1/4 cup salsa of your choice
- optional non-vegan addition: 1 tablespoon sour cream or full-fat yogurt
Arrange greens on large plate or bowl. Top with avocado, beans, tomatoes, red onion, and corn. Pour salsa (and sour cream or yogurt if you're using it) over salad as dressing and toss lightly to coat.
DINNER: Almond-Meat Bolognese Pasta
- 1/4 cup raw almonds, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce (homemade or store-bought, with no added sugar)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup cooked gluten-free pasta of choice OR 2 cups spiralized zucchini noodles
1. In a high-powered blender or food processor, combine soaked almonds, marinara and garlic. Blend or process until almonds break apart into small pieces the size and texture of a meat sauce.
2. Place almond-meat sauce in a small saucepan on medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Arrange pasta or zucchini noodles on a large plate. Top with almond-meat sauce.
Photo Credit: Stocksy