Spicy Zucchini Quinoa Fritters
These spicy zucchini and quinoa fritters are nourishing, filling and absolutely delicious. Serve them with salad for a complete meal.
Spicy Zucchini + Quinoa Fritters
Makes 8-10 fritters for 2-4 salads
For the fritters
- 1 zucchini grated (about one and a half cups)
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa (make sure you rinse your quinoa thoroughly before cooking)
- 2 heaping tablespoons of almond meal
- 1 egg
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic cored and crushed
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds soaked
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt and a good twist of pepper
- sesame seeds
- dulse flakes
For the dressing (per salad)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 clove of cored and crushed garlic
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- black sesame seeds and dulse flakes to garnish
1. Mix all the ingredients apart from the almond meal, sesame and dulse flakes thoroughly in a bowl. Slowly mix in the almond meal until the texture becomes bit sticky and not too wet. Roll spoonfuls in your hand and then across a plate of sesame seeds and dulse flakes.
2. You can either bake them on a lined baking tray at 375°F for 20 minutes until brown or pan fry in a non stick pan with a good quality stable fat (about 3 minutes on each side on medium-high heat). I used coconut oil and ghee.
3. Once the fritters are ready, add them to a colourful salad of lettuce, mint, shredded cabbage, grated carrot, cherry tomatoes, avocado and a tablespoon of sauerkraut for tang and a probiotic hit. Dress with a generous amount of salad dressing and garnish with black sesame and dulse flakes.
Photo courtesy of the author