Happy Birthday, Lewis Carroll! 13 Of His Greatest Quotes
Storied author and poet Lewis Carroll would have been 184 today. In honor of the man (whose birth name was actually Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) who dreamed up and penned the beloved Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (and its sequel Through the Looking Glass), we picked some of our favorite quotes from his books, verse, journals and letters to share with you here.
In addition to being a writer and poet, Carroll was also a mathematician, logician and deacon. Despite the whimsy and fantasy associated with his work (often described as "literary nonsense"), Carroll's word play was always rooted in logic and easily appealed to readers of all ages. Happy birthday, Mr. Carroll!
1. "I can't go back to yesterday — because I was a different person then."
2. "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
3. "Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle."
4. "You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."
5. "Always speak the truth, think before you speak, and write it down afterwards."
6. "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
7. "Everything is funny, if you can laugh at it."
8. "If you set to work to believe everything, you will tire out the believing-muscles of your mind, and then you'll be so weak you won't be able to believe the simplest true things."
9. "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
10. "One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth the doing is what we do for others."
11. "I'd give all the wealth that years have piled, / the slow result of life's decay, / To be once more a little child / for one bright summer day."
12. "If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly find fault with, you will not do much!"
13. "If you believe in me, I'll believe in you."