Detox is as much about nourishing your body as it is releasing toxins from it. In addition to juicing, there's another, warmer way to detox and replenish: the soup cleanse.
When you think of detox, think of easy-to-digest, nutrient-rich foods. The soups and the teas in this plan are loaded with the nutrients and minerals you need for cell regeneration. You will drink soup six times a day during this plan, which I recommend doing for three days.
Being a health coach and detox specialist, I always tell my clients to listen to their bodies. If you need to add clean sources of protein (either plant-based or not) to your soup, please do. Detox is not about deprivation or calorie counting, but rather about nourishing your body with the nutrients it needs to rebuild and recharge.
How To Soup Cleanse
1. Make the broths in advance so you have enough for six servings per day for the next three days. (See recipes below).
2. Use one of the two broth options below (or a mix of both) as your base and add suggested vegetables to vary your options over the next three days. Vegetables that are wonderful for nourishing in the winter are: onions, beets, carrots, cauliflower, spinach, any dark leafy greens and root vegetables.
How: Use the bone or miso broth as your base. Chop desired vegetables and add them to your broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and let simmer until vegetables are tender. Then, using an immersion blender, high-powered blender or Vitamix, puree until soup is smooth and creamy. Pureed Soups are easier to digest, hence making your detox highly effective.
3. Consume one serving of soup six times per day. If you feel you need to eat more, add another serving or two to your days until you feel satisfied.
4. If you feel dehydrated during your soup cleanse, consume 20 ounces of water with 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, the juice of ½ a lemon, and a teaspoon of honey or 4 ounces of coconut water to replenish minerals.
5. During your soup detox, I also suggest incorporating Turmeric Tea (recipe below). You can drink this tea upon rising, and it a great substitute your typical morning cup of coffee. This tea is anti-inflammatory, strengthens digestion and boosts the immune system.
For The Omnivore: Chicken Bone Broth
Broth made from the bones of animals is extremely rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and gelatin.