A 20-Minute Indoor Stair Workout (Video)
Don't let the freezing cold, snowy and icy weather keep you from a getting a great workout! I've put together this video to give you ideas for a total body workout you can do at home or in your building. ( All you need is a set of stairs!) You can mix and match any of the moves, but here's a breakdown of a 20-minute workout that includes all of them.
Please note: Stay hydrated, check with your practitioner before beginning any new routine, and always listen to your body.
- Warm up by stepping up and down the bottom step for 1-2 minutes. (Remember to switch leading with opposite foot for half the time.)
- Cardio: Side step carefully up the stairs (for more intensity, side step and skip a step between each). Perform for 30 seconds to one minute each side.
- Take a moment to stretch.
- Cardio: Sprint or walk up and down the stairs for several flights for 1-2 minutes.
- Cardio: Walk up, skipping a step for 1 minute.
- Plank: Place toes on bottom step and come into plank position on hands. Hold for 30 seconds, then alternate drawing one knee in toward opposite elbow. Perform 10-20 times. Keep a nice long line from heels to tip of head and keep abs engaged. Don't let back sag.
- Squats: Sit on the second-to-bottom step, knees over ankles. Stand up without hyperextending knees and squat back down. Tap butt onto step and come right back up. Perform 10-20 reps.
- Cardio interval: Choose any of the cardio moves listed above or the next few listed, and perform for one minute.
- Box jumps: Stand at bottom of step and jump onto next step with both feet, landing lightly. Perform 10-20 times.
- Side step-ups: Step up sideways, skipping a step. Perform 10-20 on one side, switch to other side.
- Push-ups: Place hands on second or third step, a little wider than shoulder width apart. Extend legs behind you and come onto balls of feet. Perform 10-20 push-ups. Keep abs engaged and hips down.
- Lunges: Stand facing step with right foot on bottom step, right knee above ankle and left leg extended behind you on ball of foot. Lunge up and down 10 times, then turn 180 degrees so that right foot remains on step but is behind you. Perform another 10. Do the sequence on the other side.
- Side forearm plank: Come to side plank position with forearm on bottom step, legs extending out and feet stacked. Don't sink into shoulder and don't leg hips sag. Keep core engaged. Bonus: Reach up and then under 10 times, or just hold plank for 30 seconds to one minute. Repeat on other side.
- Triceps dips: Sit on second to bottom last step, hands near your butt, fingertips pointing forward. Bend elbows and lower butt toward step, keeping shoulders down and elbows pointing toward each other. Repeat 10-20 times. Bonus: Extend one leg parallel to ground, perform several reps, switch legs.
- Stretch: Take a moment to stretch.
This are ideas for you can totally make it your own. Get creative, have some fun and get in a great workout no matter what the weather!
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.