It's a pretty straightforward truth: the more freedom you have, the happier you are. And the happier you are, the better life feels! Almost five years ago, during my busy and overwhelming corporate career as a marketing professional, I set out to find more freedom in my life. These are the 10 steps I took to make it my reality! With the New Year upon us, why not start now?

1. Create your perfect day.

If today were your perfect day and you had all the time and money in the world, no agenda, no schedule and nothing planned, how do you feel when you wake up? Where are you living? What car are you driving? What are you doing? Who are you seeing?

You need to feel this perfect day constantly, because one day, it will become your reality. Gaining clarity is the first step toward freedom.

2. Develop a specific vision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Think of doing what you truly love, then imagine what that will look like in one year, five years and 10 years. What action steps do you need to take right now (even if they might seem like the hardest thing in the world) to get yourself closer to living your vision?

3. Declutter the space around you.

Write down all of the areas of your life that have significant meaning to you, or activities that occupy a lot of your time. When you think of these, do you feel ease and flow, or do you feels suffocated and held back? Decluttering allows you to let go of everything that's holding you back and creates space for new amazingness to flow into your life!

4. Find a success mentor.

I'm so grateful that I found my mentor at the age of 26. She was living the life that I'd always dreamed of. She was financially free, owned her schedule and was traveling the world, while mentoring women on how to step into their full power. She was where I wanted to be, and the only way for me to achieve the same, I had to be 100% coachable and willing to learn from her!

5. Lose the debt.

If your mind is always going back to your piles of debt, then you won't achieve freedom until you get rid of it! Right now, what can you do (using your skills and creativity) to bring in additional cash flow to pay off your debt (or at least bring down that number each week)?

6. Get yourself residual income.

Residual, or passive, income is money you're earning while not working. Think of an author who writes a book once then continues to get paid each time someone purchases the book. Maybe there's a product you love that you can recommend to your network, building residual income over time, or an affiliate marketing program you can add to your blog. Maybe you can create intellectual property like an e-book or webinar series that you sell online. The possibilities are endless.

7. Harness the power of self-care.

You're the CEO of your life, so it's nonnegotiable that you take great care of yourself. Can you start off your day with a glass of lemon water? Commit to 30 minutes of movement daily? Fuel your mind with a great book for 15-minute each day? Small habits can go a long way toward enhancing self-care.

8. Take a "Freedom Day."

What will you be doing when you're living your freedom lifestyle? Take a full day and practice living it now!!

9. Commit fully.

When you take full responsibility for your successes and failures, when your why (the reason for doing what you're doing) is powerful enough to move mountains, when you have a no excuse mindset and you're 100% committed to achieving your dreams, then nothing will get in your way. How badly do you want to live a life filled with total freedom? Can you commit?

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Explore More