We put an enormous amount of pressure on ourselves to be different, new, fresh – a changed person full of health, happiness and inner peace. But when we don't achieve all we set out to accomplish, the blame slaps us back in the face. We build up self-resentment, guilt and negative perceptions full of fear and pity.
If you want change in your life, do it from a place of acceptance and love. You can't hate yourself into your perfect body, nor will you find your soul mate from a place of self-pity. You won't be able to make more money if you don't appreciate what you currently earn. Whatever your desire is, the inspiration to change and reach a new goal comes from an inner place of wanting to feel a new way. Your emotions can help drive lasting change.
If you want to start fresh, give yourself permission to reinvent yourself, but do it from a place of joy. That constant feeling that something is missing will disappear when you go for what you want.
Your true happiness is not in the ideal weight, your dream relationship or large sums of money. The happiness and feelings you desire are within you now. To make change stick forever, turn inward to the wisdom already in your heart.
It's never too late to be what you wanted for yourself. You can change directions and start fresh any time. Although the New Year invites change and new habits to take place, January 1 isn't a super-powered day filled with magical energy. Instead of declaring that day for grandiose new changes, simply strive to make every day of your life better than the day before.
Instead of trying to do, be and have more, simplify your life and remember these powerful ideas.
1. You have a lot to be grateful for. Start celebrating what is going well, instead of focusing on what isn't working.
2. What you learn on the way is often more important than the destination.
3. Your actions show more commitment than your words. Stop telling people about your dreams and goals; show them.
4. You've already arrived. There is nothing more to do or be. You are enough as you are in this moment.
5. Your life is too short to spend it at war with yourself. Start to see your unique beauty and gifts. You have something the world needs, so honor and share that.
6. You can't think your way through what you feel. Trust yourself. Your heart knows the way.
7. You'll have more freedom when you live less from habit and more from intent.
8. Move on from and forgive. Anyone who hurt you is trying to make sense of a world that is hurting them. Forgiveness will set you free.
9. Difficult roads lead to divine destinations. Trust the journey. The purpose will be revealed.
10. At any given moment, you have a choice that will lead you closer to what you want, or further away. Choose what feels expansive and joyful. That is the right choice for you.