Sitting All Day Is Probably Killing You (Video)
We've got some bad news. You'll probably want to sit down for this. No, wait. Stand up. You were definitely already sitting. At your desk. Where you will remain for another five hours until you head home. Unfortunately, this sedentary habit of yours is pretty terrible for you. It can actually cut your life short.
The guys behind AsapSCIENCE released an interesting video yesterday (which you can watch below) about all the ways sitting is bad for you. How bad, you ask? Well, as they describe, the electrical activity drops significantly, and your calorie-burning rate drops to about one calorie per minute. Prolonged sitting — like weeks of six hour sessions — reduces the effectiveness of insulin, increases the production of LDL cholesterol, and breaks down muscle tissue so much, going to the gym regularly can't counteract the effects.
After 10 to 20 years of this type of sitting, you may have lost up to seven years of life without medical issues.
So how do we get back the years we've likely already lost? The guys have some suggestions, which they highlight in another video.
- Take a five minute break every hour to walk around.
- Get a standing desk.
- Drink more water, so you're forced to get up and go to the bathroom frequently.
- Get up from your desk to go talk to people instead of emailing them.
- Get up to get things instead of rolling over in your chair.
- Sit on an exercise ball.
- Park at the back of the parking lot so that you can get a little extra walking time every day.
- Stand up during phone calls or texting.
- Use a pedometer to count the steps you take during the day.
Now that you're done watching, get up and do something. Go grab a cookie and eat it to reward yourself for the exercise it took to get there.