Do you ever wonder how much money you spend on beauty products? Do you ever wonder if you really need all the bottles and jars in your medicine cabinet? Do you ever wonder how many toxins are in the prepackaged formulas you regularly put on your skin and hair and into your body?
If you answered yes, nodded, secretly admitted to or smacked the side of your head in recognition of any of these questions, you might want to take a minute to check your kitchen cabinets before your next run to the beauty aisle. So much of what you're already buying can pull double (or triple ... or quadruple!) duty in your personal care routine.
Plus, cutting down on the number of products you have in your home will also cut down your spending and keep you and your family happier and healthier.
- Remove sun spots: Lemon juice is a natural skin lightener and can be applied to a few times a day to naturally remove sun spots.
- Highlight hair: All you need here is lemon juice, water and the sun!
- Reduce wrinkles: Lemon juice is also a natural skin tightener. Use it as a toner on clean skin to naturally reduce wrinkles.
- Shrink pores: The natural skin-tightening enzymes found in lemon juice clean our pores and minimize them.
- De-puff skin: Never underestimate the power of lemon water.
- Hair condition: Coconut oil helps lock in hair's natural moisture and makes it stronger. It's also a great deep-conditioner if your hair is feeling dry or brittle.
- Lip gloss: Kissable lips that taste like the tropics.
- Deodorant: The lauric acid in coconut oil kills odor-causing bacteria and naturally softens your underarm skin.
- Sunscreen: This one is a bit more labor-intensive, but you can guarantee your sun protection will be totally free of parabens and other harmful toxins.
- Skin moisturizer: Smell amazing and soften your skin? Sign us up.
- Shaving cream: Coconut oil has antifungal properties, so it's especially great for shaving if you're prone to razor burn or infection. Also, no need for lotion after a shower since it'll also moisturize while you shave.
- Facial scrub: Combine a little coconut oil and baking soda (ingredient #5 on this list) for an easy, effective exfoliator.
- Diaper rash cream: Gentle enough for your baby's bottom.
- Sexual lubricant: Coconut oil is completely natural (no parabens, petroleum, glycerin or chemicals), and it won't stain the sheets.
- Wound care: Apply a small amount of coconut oil to minor scrapes and cuts to shield them from outside germs and to kill existing ones.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Soothes sunburns: Balance your skin's pH levels.
- Clarifies and cleans hair: Shinier, softer hair is possible when you remove product buildup with a DIY rinse.
- Acne treatment: A natural, organic apple cider vinegar toner might be the answer for longtime acne sufferers.
- Mouthwash: Swish, spit, brush and smile!
- Aftershave: Soothes skin after a close shave.
- Wart remover: Strange but true!
- Psoriasis treatment: Drinking apple cider vinegar may help treat psoriasis symptoms due to its high levels of nutrients.
- Erase varicose veins: ACV will improve circulation and swelling.
- Nail polish: Soak your nails for a minute before painting to make your manicure last longer.
- Treats bug bites: Relieve itchiness with a drop or two of white vinegar.
- Reduce bruises: A cotton ball soaked in vinegar is all you need.
- Whiten teeth: Quickly rinsing your mouth with vinegar will brighten your smile and combat tartar buildup.
- Deodorant: A simple way to combat body odor without chemicals.
- Toothpaste: For the best smile of your life.
- Shampoo: Not a typical foaming shampoo, but it's better for your hair than almost anything else.
- Exfoliator: Add some essential oil to this to moisturize and smell good also.
- Thickens hair: Harness the vitamin E in castor oil to moisturize and plump up your locks.
- Strengthens eyelashes: A little bit on your eyes before bed and you'll wake up looking bright-eyed and refreshed.
- Foot treatment: Unpleasant? Sure, but castor oil is a natural antibacterial so if you suffer from foot fungus, this is a miracle cure.
- Cuticle softener: Not only will the skin around your nails be softer, but your nails will be stronger and grow faster.
- Makeup remover: The easiest, gentlest way to remove makeup ... ever.
Photo Credit: Stocksy