7 Tips To Stay Healthy While You Party

7 Tips To Stay Healthy While You Party Hero Image

Rockstars have to manage hours of intense performance on stage followed by partying into the wee hours of the morning. Their livelihood depends on repeating the same process day after day without burning out. If Anthony Kiedis and Mick Jagger are still rocking and keeping it healthy, we can certainly survive a few weeks of holiday temptations!

Here are some rock 'n roll-inspired tips to help you party down while staying fit, healthy and feeling like a rockstar everyday.

1. Party without the booze.

Foo Fighters axeman Chris Shiflett doesn't let the "rock-and-roll lifestyle" get in the way of staying fit and healthy while he's on the road: "I don't drink or do drugs any more. Back in the day, I would party a lot on tour and hit the gym hard in my downtime to make up for it."

When we drink too much, we often lose control of our inhibitions which can lead to poor decision. If you feel out of place without a drink in your hand, try ordering something like a cranberry and seltzer with lime in a fancy glass. If you choose to imbibe, make sure you've had something to eat before you start drinking and match every drink with one glass of water.

ADVERTISEMENT

2. Have a green day.

Singer Pink goes green at least one day a month, so why don't you try one or two green days during the next few weeks? Everything you put in your mouth should be green: kale, greens, spinach, broccoli, avocados, green apples, green juices, etc. Eating green offers a hefty source of antioxidants and phytonutrients, boosts your immune system and is low in calories. Give your body a break from rich holiday foods and make sure to drink plenty of water.

3. Don't arrive ravenous.

Plan ahead and make sure you've had a nutritious meal or snack before you arrive. Some of Jon Bon Jovi's favorite healthy foods are grilled fish, low-fat Greek yogurt, almonds, fresh fruit and protein bars. If you can't manage to sneak in a healthy snack before hitting the party, drink a glass of water and fill your plate with the healthiest options available. Put your fork down between each bite. If your hankering for seconds, give yourself 15 minutes and a another glass of water before returning to the chow.

4. Take a silence break.

Take a cue from Motley Crue drummer, Tommy Lee, who says, "I do total silence for 10 minutes right after a show ... As my ears ring out and all my energies start to come back to earth, I find peace in that 10 minutes, then it's time to party!" Try this before an evening out or even sneak out during the party to clear your head, re-group and reflect on how grateful you are for your co-workers, friends and family.

5. Try a vegetarian feast.

Planning an office party or get together with friends and family? Get pro-active and choose a vegetarian restaurant or caterer instead of settling for the pigs-in-a-blanket route. It's not complicated to have a healthy and tasty party.

Even Katy Perry opts for veggies backstage at her gigs: broccoli, celery, beets, carrots, organic fruit baskets, quinoa, couscous, fresh hummus and guacamole.

6. Dance the night away.

Take a page out of Tina Turner's book. The performance powerhouse says dancing is one of her secrets to staying in shape. Don't sit on the sidelines; get out on the dance floor and bust a move. You'll burn calories (up to 250 in 30 minutes), flush the booze and food through your system and release some serious feel-good endorphins.

7. Walk it off.

Back in the day, it was customary to go for a nice long stroll after an evening meal. Madonna and Sheryl Crow both cite walking as one of their go-to fitness choices. After a heavy meal, get the whole gang up and out for some fresh air and exercise. You'll feel better, get the digestive juices flowing and help burn off those mashed potatoes.

Here are a few more strategies to help you stay in tip-top holiday shape:

Gut Health: Make sure you're getting enough probiotics or take a good quality probiotic supplement before during and after the party season to help support healthy gut function.

Training: Don't wait until after the holidays to start working out. Begin increasing your training now (including strength training) and push yourself so your body will be ready for a rest and recovery period during those days when you're too busy shopping or partying to work out.

Boost fiber: Make sure you're getting enough healthy fiber to help cleanse your bowels and aid digestion before a period of festive eating and drinking.

Get cuckoo for coconut oil: Add coconut oil to your diet and beauty regime to stay healthy and gorgeous and both inside and out.

Treat yourself: Go for a sauna or steam to help sweat out toxins. Get a massage to relieve anxiety, stress and tension and stimulate the immune system.

Indulge in a power nap: Studies show that power naps can give you more energy, increase stamina and leave you feeling fresher and more alert. Try taking a 20 minute power nap several hours before your evening festivities. Avoid sugar and caffeine before nap time, darken and cool the room, turn off distractions and set an alarm. You'll be ready to party the night away!

The holiday season doesn't have to be all about gorging, boozing and no sleep. With a little planning, you can keep it fun and healthy while you party like a rock star!

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Explore More