The holidays can be a particularly depressing time to be gluten-free. All those Christmas cookie swaps and New Year's Eve party petit fours don't usually cater well to dietary restrictions or allergies, not to mention your waistline in general. So this year I developed a holiday twist on my favorite raw cookie bites with cinnamon, cherries and chocolate.
I got hooked on these beauty bon bons from, of all people, my holistic facialist, who gives out a small bag of these cookies after each session. It didn't take me long to recreate them at home. Now I keep a stash on hand for year-round healthy snacking, knowing that the shredded coconut, super seeds, and raw honey not only satisfy my sweet tooth, but also contain essential fats and antioxidants for a great glow.
Cinnamon-Cherry Raw Beauty Bon Bons
Makes 2 dozen
- ¾ cup almond butter
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup organic finely shredded coconut
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until everything is well incorporated and starting to stick together. Stick the bowl in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, or until the nut mixture has chilled and firmed up slightly.
2. With damp hands, form 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball, squeezing it until about 1-inch wide and very compact. (I found it helpful to have a bowl of water handy since the mixture can get sticky and it's easier to have wet hands when handling). Continue with the remaining nut mixture, reserving the balls on a plate or parchment lined sheet pan. Chill the bon bon's until ready to serve or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator to gift at your next holiday cookie exchange.
Note: These healthy dessert bites have lots of great ingredients for your skin! Replace the raw honey with maple syrup and they are vegan oatmeal cookies!
Photo courtesy of the author
And are you ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.