When I reflected on my relationship with coffee, I realized that I don't even really like the taste of it. I love it more for the routine and that faithful jolt it offers me. But after almost two weeks without coffee, I have found myself with more sustained energy throughout the day and I sleep more soundly without waking up in the middle of the night like I used to.
Whether you are trying to cut back on caffeine or just want to switch up your morning routine, this is a lovely warm treat. It tastes like earthy, malty hot chocolate and is filled with fiber, magnesium, iron, protein, amino acids, antioxidants, and some healthy fat to keep your brain thriving.
Superfood Coffee Alternative
Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla (extract or raw powder)
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- pinch of cayenne
1. Heat almond milk in a saucepan on low-medium heat until it is warm but not too hot.
2. When warm, take saucepan off heat and whisk in all other ingredients. Sprinkle some more cinnamon on top.
Photo courtesy of the author