Last-Minute Thanksgiving App: Sweet Potato Crostini With Walnuts & Tahini
This recipe layers on the nutrition in the form of sweet, creamy sweet potato, and sneaks in a little protein while it's at it. That bean-powered protein and veggie fiber will keep you satisfied till the main meal arrives.
Sweet Potato Crostini With Toasted Walnuts & Tahini
- 1 medium sweet potato, baked
- 1/2 cup black eyed peas
- 1/4 cup sesame tahini, plus more to drizzle
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, per your heat preference
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- honey to drizzle
- lemon wedge to squeeze
- 1 multigrain baguette, sliced into 1/2 inch-thick ovals
- In a food processor, combine sweet potato, black-eyed peas, tahini, chili powder, nutmeg, cayenne, and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Turn on broiler in oven. Arrange baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Very lightly drizzle with olive oil or melted butter. Broil until brown and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and begin to spoon sweet potato dip on top. Sprinkle toasted walnuts on top. Then, drizzle with honey and tahini, and finish with a squeeze of lemon. Serve.
To toast walnuts, place a skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped walnuts to dry pan, and stir frequently, until edges brown and walnuts are aromatic. Remove from pan to cool.
Photo courtesy of the author
And are you ready to learn how to fight inflammation and address autoimmune disease through the power of food? Join our 5-Day Inflammation Video Summit with mindbodygreen’s top doctors.