Black Bean + Sweet Potato Tacos
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 15-ounce cans organic black beans (look for cans that are BPA-free) or 1½ cups cooked black beans
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (you can also use 1 tablespoon of raw coconut oil)
- salt + pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a pinch of red chili flakes and let heat for a few seconds in the oil. Add the sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to medium, cover and let cook, for about 10 minutes stirring every few minutes for even cooking. Remove the lid and cook for another 5-10 minutes or so until the potatoes are soft and lightly browned.
2. Add the black beans to the pan with the sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook until warm, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Directly before serving: Over a low flame on a gas stovetop, place the warm tortilla directly on the burner. Heat for a few seconds on each side. Remove from heat and place in cloth towel to keep warm.
4. Serve the tacos with our Fall Slaw, full-fat yogurt (instead of sour cream), guacamole and your favorite hot sauce.
Photography by V.K. Rees
Recipes + Styling by Christina Liva