10 Great Reasons To Develop A Gratitude Habit
Happy people actively exercise gratitude, choosing to live with an attitude of gratitude. They don't buy into what geneticists say, that we have an unmovable "happiness set-point."
The happiest people can move beyond that biological set point through practices like yoga and meditation. In fact, research suggests that gratitude can be learned by anyone to transform our lives for the better. By actively practicing gratitude, we can actually raise our "happiness set-point," regardless of the situation and no matter what the circumstance.
Appreciation makes us aware of the blessings present in our life, from moment to moment. There is always something to be grateful for if you are fully engaged in what's happening in the now, instead of replaying the past or worrying about the future.
Here are 10 reasons why your should make a habit of practicing gratitude:
- Feeling more connected (less lonely)
- Strengthened immune system
- Improved emotional equilibrium
- Better sleep
- Increased energy
- More confidence in ourselves
- Deeper relaxation
- Appear more attractive to others
- Increased creativity
- Easier bounce back from difficulty
To experience these benefits, we must consciously choose to practice gratitude. Try to incorporate one or all of these exercises into your daily life:
- Set your intention to maintain a "Gratitude Journal" for one week. Every morning, start your day with a simple gratitude exercise that involves writing down 3-10 things you are grateful for, no matter how big or small.
- Set the timer for three minutes and sit still. Quietly think about all that you appreciate in a free-form stream of consciousness, without any editing. Don't worry if it makes sense or not.
- For a week write one thank you note per day, to tell someone how much you appreciate them and why.
- Practice self-appreciation. Take time for seven days in a row to write yourself a note of gratitude.
You will be amazed at how effortless recognizing these moments of grace starts to become. These small blessings cultivate a beautiful abundance of love and joy. Love yourself, love your day, love your life!
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.