Warming Shiitake Soba (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
If you're looking for a vegan soup that is also wheat-free, look no further.
Soba is the Japanese name for buckwheat. Buckwheat is technically a seed, not a grain, which makes it wheat- and gluten-free. Make sure that the soba noodles you purchase are 100% buckwheat as some varieties may contain wheat. Miso, a Japanese soybean paste that gives this dish its savory essence, comes in all sorts of colors and depth of flavors.
Shiitake Mushroom & Soba Noodle Soup
- 6 ounces 100% buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 cup shelled frozen edamame
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 3 baby bok choy, stems and leaves separated and sliced
- 1⁄2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white or yellow miso
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. In a large saucepan, prepare the soba noodles according to package directions. Drain in a colander and immediately rinse with cold water. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, cook the edamame according to package directions. Drain in a colander and set aside.
3. Return the large saucepan to the stovetop and heat the peanut oil over medium heat. Cook the bok choy stems, mushrooms, garlic, and ginger, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add the spice powder and red pepper flakes and stir for 30 seconds. Add the water and the bok choy leaves and bring to a gentle simmer.
4. Put the miso in a small bowl. Remove 1 cup of the hot water from the saucepan and whisk with the miso until smooth. Add to the saucepan and stir. Add the scallions, sesame oil, reserved soba noodles, and reserved edamame and stir to combine.
5. Ladle the soup into 4 soup bowls and garnish each with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Reprinted from "The Healthy You Diet" by Dawna Stone. Copyright (c)2014 by Dawna Stone. By permission of Rodale Books. Available wherever books are sold.