Ingrid Newkirk, the president of PETA, has released her last will and testament, and it's pretty bold. As someone who has devoted her life to the alleviation of animal suffering, she has decided to use her body for the same purpose after her death.
The will calls attention to the suffering of animals worldwide in the meat, fashion, pharma, and entertainment industries. Every act she demands serves to ask the question: "If you'd do it to an animal, why wouldn't you do it to a human being?"
Her instructions are gruesome; for example, she demands that her liver be "vacuum-packed and shipped, in whole or in part, to France" to dissuade people from supporting the practice of force-feeding geese and ducks for foie gras.
Herewith, the 11 requests from Newkirk's will:
- "Carve out and sear some of my flesh for a human barbecue."
- "Peel off my skin for the first voluntary lizard-skin purse" because no animal has ever given consent to be skinned.
- "Dismember my legs and fashion them into human umbrella stands" because no animal should be dismembered for household decorations, like "elephant-foot ornaments."
- "Scoop out and mount an eyeball to watch over the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)" until it gives up its cruel animal testing practices.
- "Deliver my pointing finger to Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus" to blame them for mistreating their circus animals.
- "Vacuum-pack my liver for use in a human foie gras dish for the French" to get French shoppers to stop supporting the cruelty of force-feeding ducks and geese.
- "Chop off my ears and fashion them into human hearing aids." One would go to to the Canadian Parliament so that its members could better hear "the screams of animals that are skinned alive for the fur trade," and the other would go to Deonar slaughterhouse in Mumbai to remind the world that "the animals' screams don't stop at the slaughterhouse walls."
- "Sever a thumb and mount it as a "thumbs-up" plaque" for the greatest champion of animal rights in the year following her death.
- "Mount my other thumb to create a thumbs-down plaque" for whoever harms animals the most in the year after her death.
- "Bury a piece of my heart at the Hockenheim race track" to thank Formula 1 racing and Michael Schumacher (who won the 1995 German Grand Prix at that race track) in particular for their devotion to animal rights.
- "PETA can use the rest of my body in ANY way that draws attention to animal suffering."
Which request was the most shocking to you?
Photos courtesy of PETA