Several years ago, my doctor diagnosed me with clinical depression. At the time, I was also suffering from eating disorders and drug addictions, and I hated my job in advertising. The problem was I didn’t know how to break free. I shuffled my way through life, masking the pain with addictions, fear and self-sabotage
I had the sinking sensation my corporate cubicle lifestyle — despite putting myself through graduate school to get this high-profile job — was not my life purpose.
That’s the thing about most major life choices: we don’t know how they will fit until we try them out. I thought I wanted that life. I participated fully in every moment to create that reality. But once I achieved it, I felt numb, hallow and uninspired.
One night I fell to the bathroom floor. My body hurt from all the aggressive tears pouring out of me. I said, “I can’t do this anymore. I can’t keep being someone I’m not.” Within seconds, the air around me thinned out and my inner voice said, “Shannon, follow your heart.”
That moment changed my life forever. I redirected and removed what no longer severed me, including my corporate job, drug addictions, eating disorders and my attachment to fear.
Instead of focusing on my pain, I began to focus on my passions, which lead me to my purpose. Today I lead a much happier, healthier life.
Happiness is a habit, and I do what I love every day.
It may be scary at first to leave a situation that is suffocating your soul, but your future self knows it's worth it. Your life depends on your courage, stepping into your true passion to live a purposeful life.
You don’t need an insane amount of courage to follow your heart. You just need to believe in yourself and that comes when you take action.
What I learned along my journey is the more we focus on trying to “find” our life purpose, the harder it is to reach. This is because we try to think our way into it, when the best solution is to actually feel your way.
Drop from your head into your heart and allow it to be your compass. Your life will open up to tremendous new ways and possibilities, and inspiration and love will guide you forward. You will feel joy from the inside out.
Here are 20 signs you're living your life purpose:
1. You feel truly alive.
2. You’ve forgiven yourself and others for past mistakes.
3. You're thankful for what you have while you work toward what you want.
4. You trust your heart.
5. You don't settle.
6. Your past mistakes serve a purpose.
7. Instead of trying to change the world, you focus on changing yourself.
8. You live less out of habit and more from intent.
9. Your faith is bigger than your fear.
10. Instead of focusing on your bank account, you focus on who you can and have helped.
11. You go to bed smiling and proud of your day.
12. You appreciate each moment and can find purpose in pain.
13. You are who you are, not who the world says you should be.
14. You realize your life purpose isn’t just about you.
15. You tell yourself you love you and can accept compliments gracefully.
16. You stopped comparing yourself to others and celebrate your unique, quirky, beautiful self.
17. You’ve let go of trying to “find” your purpose and instead do what you are passionate about.
18. You know the world needs something in you.
19. You're OK with not getting what you want because you know you always get what you need.
20. You appreciate the journey, if not more so, than the destination.
To create your own purpose driven list grab this FREE Love Your Life to The Fullest Guide.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.