A few months ago, a friend did something that really shocked me to my core. I was confused, mad, angry and swore I’d never let him back into my life.
After I deleted that person from my life, something happened, a shift from the inside.
I discovered the power of forgiveness. Instead of feeling like a victim or blaming this person, I chose to look inward and ask myself what the situation was trying to teach me.
Every situation you explore and every relationship we encounter is an opportunity to learn more about yourself. If someone does something that makes you feel victimized, ask yourself what you can learn. What is this situation trying to show?
Forgiveness is never really about the other person. Buddha said it best: holding onto anger is like holding onto a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else. You are the one who gets burned.
Because I forgave, the universe brought the friendship back into my life. And now the relationship is more transparent, open, honest and authentic then ever.
Forgiveness is a catalyst for a fresh new start. It opens you up for a new beginning.
There are universal life lessons the power of forgiveness can give us. Here are 15 of the most powerful lessons learned from the act of forgiveness.
1. Release expectations.
2. Say what you really mean.
3. Know that things aren’t always what they seem.
4. Learn that you will always feel lonely in others’ company until you learn to love yourself.
5. People aren’t always who they say they are, but they're always who they show you they are.
6. Communication can save any situation.
7. Have loving allowance for others to be where they are (not where you think they should be).
8. Know that it's not about you.
9. You don't need someone to make you feel loved.
10. Everything you need is inside of you.
11. Opportunities are the result of consistent action and hard work — there are no free rides or quick fixes.
12. You can only take responsibility for you.
13. Forgiveness isn't about forgetting the past. It's about opening up your future.
14. Everything is connected.
15. You matter most. Trust yourself. Your heart never lies.
For more inspiration grab this FREE Love Your Life To The Fullest Guide.
In order to be your best self in your relationships—whether it's with a friend, family member, or partner—you need to FEEL your best, inside and out. Ready to learn more about how to become your most vibrant self? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.