10 Surefire Ways To Get Healthy & Happy This Fall

10 Surefire Ways To Get Healthy & Happy This Fall Hero Image

As we welcome the autumnal equinox and transition into a new season, it’s the perfect time to revamp our daily habits and health-ify our bodies and lives. And the fall, specifically, is a time to detoxify and buckle down to a more structured regimen, especially after the carefree days of those summer indulgences.

As the leaves begin to turn colors and the sun sets a little earlier, it’s important for us to adjust the way we eat and live to match this seasonal change. There are certain foods that should be left behind along with our memories of summer, and delicious fruits and veggies that are just waiting to be loved throughout the fall season.

Here are 10 tips to help cleanse your body, improve your diet, and cultivate true health and happiness this fall:

1. Eat whole, unprocessed, seasonal foods.

This is the BEST advice I could give. Cut out (or reduce) the processed and packaged food in your diet, and load your body up on whole foods such as vegetables, greens, low sugar fruit, healthy fats (like avocado and coconut oil), lean protein, and raw nuts, butters, and seeds. Eating fruits and veggies that are aligned with the fall season are also great for digestion and cleansing. Some of my favorites include apples, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, beets, and winter squash.

ADVERTISEMENT

2. Hydrate… and then hydrate some more.

This is a tip that I’m sure you hear often, but that's because it works. Start your morning by rehydrating your body with water and even better with lemon water and then drink up all day long. When you want a snack, drink water first. And in between meals, drink water. You get the idea.

3. Learn the workouts that make you feel great and inspire you, and commit to a weekly routine.

As you know, exercise is a key player in losing weight, boosting your energy, removing toxins, and helping you feel great. But if you view your workout as a hassle or a bore, then we both know it’s not gonna happen. So play around with different workouts, narrow down what you love, and fit in 4-5 solid workouts. And if you’re feeling tired or not in the mood, remind yourself how great you will feel after. At the very least, go for a walk! That alone will get the juices flowing.

4. Practice mindfulness with your food, your loved ones and your life.

Be aware and mindful of the food you are eating. Take each bite with delight, chew slowly, and thoroughly enjoy the flavors. Be mindful and grateful when eating. Be present when spending time with your family and friends. Listen well and be aware of your actions. Be in tune with your body and listen to its signals. Be mindful of how your live your life each and every day.

5. Cut the sugar!

Before we know it we’ll be celebrating Halloween, followed by our favorite festive winter holidays, which is a time of sweets, over-indulgences, and weight gain. So it’s important to get those sugar cravings in check NOW. But, this doesn’t have to mean NO sugar. Instead try cleansing your body of white, processed sugar for a few weeks, by enjoying natural sugars such as fruit and raw honey, and then indulge (mindfully!) when it’s worth it to YOU.

6. Remember to take care of yourself first.

Since our schedules tend to get a lot more hectic during the fall, it’s important to remember to take care of the most important person on your list: YOU. You need to make sure you are implementing some self-care on a regular basis. It doesn’t have to be anything grand, just something that makes you smile and feel amazing. Put some self-care into your calendar and commit to doing something special for yourself. The better you take care of you, the better person you can be for others.

7. Put the past behind you.

This is a theme I’m preaching to my yoga students, and one I’ve been working on personally. We all have a past… even yesterday is now the past. We’ve gained and lost weight. We’ve said things we didn’t mean. We’ve made bad decisions. But what’s done is done, and if anything it just teaches us who want to be, how we want to act, what makes us feel good, and what makes us feel like crap. So, learn from your past, but leave it where it belongs… behind you.

8. Get some fresh air.

Before we know it we’ll be graced with winter and if it’s anything like last year, we might find ourselves hibernating yet again. So enjoy this beautiful weather while we still have it! Get outside. Enjoy the fresh air and sunlight. Go for a walk in the morning or after dinner, bring your exercise outdoors, or enjoy lunch out of the office. This will help boost your mood and keep you healthy.

9. Keep the end goal in mind.

Remind yourself every morning (and throughout the day when necessary) of what you want to achieve and how you want to feel. Then, do your best to work toward achieving those goals and desires daily. It’s important to get clear on what you want and put it out there to the universe. It also helps you stay focused and pushes you to change your habits so that they are aligned with your intentions. This will only set you up for success!

10. Meditate every day.

This is something I’ve committed myself to doing daily, even just for 5 minutes, and the benefits really pay off. I remember listening to stories about how beneficial meditation was and I kept thinking I couldn’t get my mind to shut off or my body to relax long enough, and actually sit still. And then I decided that was OK, I gave it a shot. Keep it simple and see what happens! Honestly, it works, even if it's just five minutes. So give it a try and at the very least, you’ll feel a hell of a lot calmer and more peaceful.

Photo Credit: Stocksy.com

Explore More