10 Tips To Juice Like A Pro (From Someone Who's Been Doing It For 30 Years)

10 Tips To Juice Like A Pro (From Someone Who's Been Doing It For 30 Years) Hero Image

My name is Jimmy Rosenberg, and I'm the founder and Chief Juice Officer of Evolution Fresh. I started my first juice company in California in 1984, selling fresh juice to beachgoers on Venice Beach. A decade later, I worked as an organic bibb lettuce farmer, learning the nuances of farming and harvesting to ensure maximum freshness, flavor and ripeness. It's been over thirty years since then, and I've poured that knowledge and care into Evolution Fresh. We seek to give more people access to cold-pressed juice (using HPP) and its benefits. Here are some of the things I’ve learned on my 30-year juicing journey:

1. Use in-season, local produce as much as possible. In markets featuring local produce, the fruits and vegetables are likely to have been harvested within the last 24 hours at the peak of ripeness. I like to use organic as much as possible. This helps provide you with all the benefits (flavor, texture, nutrition, etc.) freshness can offer. As we ease through September, I am most excited about local California Apples for my juice and smoothies.

2. Don’t be afraid of a little pulp. I like my vegetable juices with a bit of extra pulp. It feels more well-rounded and wholesome.

3. If you want more sweetness, add more fruit. I like my juice and smoothies on the less sweet side (generally with less fruit - no more than an apple sized portion), but using seasonal local organic fruit like an apple, pear, stone-fruit or berries can help provide wholesome and natural sweetness.

4. Try a smoothie in the morning and a juice in the afternoon. Juicing and blending are complementary — not oppositional. I typically do a smoothie (with veggies, fruits, superfoods and nut milk) in the morning, and a lighter veggie juice in the afternoon with leafy greens, cucumber, celery, carrots, beets, ginger, lemon and turmeric.

ADVERTISEMENT

5. For smoothies, make your own nut milk. Nut milk can help cut down on the sweetness of your juice, and it may also offer additional impact on the smoothie’s nutrient profile! I prefer to sprout my nuts by soaking them 1 to 2 days before making nut milk. Here is a quick how-to:

• Soak organic raw almonds for 8-12 hours at room temperature
  • Rinse
  • Blend water & almonds in roughly a 1:3 ratio for 1-2 minutes until almonds are ground very fine
  • Strain with cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer
  • Fiber can be dried and reused as flour
  • Another great cashew milk recipe can be found here

6. Don’t be afraid to juice the stalks and rinds! These may offer nutrients you don’t want to compost. For instance, just one cup of beet greens can provide a rich source of vitamins A (as beta-carotene) K, and C.

7. Stock your pantry with ‘superfoods’ so that you can add them to any juice or smoothie. I like to enhance my juices and smoothies with superfoods such as:

• Cacao: it offers a hint of chocolate and bolsters the taste of the other ingredients in your smoothie
  • Maca: this root adds a touch of sweetness
  • Goji Berries & Chia: Try soaking them overnight before blending with your other ingredients

8. Experiment with variety. We’ve all heard that we should “eat the rainbow,” of vibrant fruits and vegetables. It can help to create variety in our diet and maintain health through various nutrients.

9. If you’re not sure where to begin, start simple. Here is a recipe to get you started.

10. A morning juice is the perfect way to start your day with self-love. For me, juicing is a self-nurturing, loving choice that I make everyday. I choose to be Loving with myself and share the joy I feel with others! I encourage you to juice freely and enjoy the “feel good” side effects!

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com