Paleo-Friendly Post-Workout Smoothie
I am generally not a big fan of drinking my calories with the following three exceptions:
- As a post-workout recovery shake after a high intensity workout.
- As an occasional meal replacement for convenience sake.
- Drinking some nice wine or even tequila while socializing.
For the first two exceptions, I’ve devised a Paleo-friendly smoothie that is brimming with nutrition from healthy fats, probiotics, omega-3s, complete protein, natural electrolytes, antioxidants, fiber and a minimal amount of low glycemic carbohydrates. Sounds pretty good doesn’t it?
Protein is important for satiety and also for post workout recovery, which is why I incorporate a high quality natural grass-fed whey protein. You can substitute a vegan protein powder, and for the egg you can use half an avocado if you'd like. You can substitute coconut cream for the goat milk kefir for a vegan alternative.
- 120mL (1/2 cup) of organic coconut water
- 120mL (1/2 cup) of goat milk kefir
- 70g (1/2 cup) of frozen organic blueberries
- 1 pastured raw egg
- 1 scoop (23g) of grass-fed unflavored natural whey protein
- 1 Tbsp. (15g) of Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT) oil
- 2 tsp. (10g) of raw organic cocoa powder
- 1 scoop (7g) of collagen powder type 1 & 3 (optional)
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for around 10-15 seconds. Add some water if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- 462 calories
- 30g protein
- 30g fat
- 18g carb
- 270 cal from fat (58%)
- 120 cal from protein (26%)
- 72 cal from carbs (16%)
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.