Paleo-Friendly Post-Workout Smoothie
I am generally not a big fan of drinking my calories with the following three exceptions:
- As a post-workout recovery shake after a high intensity workout.
- As an occasional meal replacement for convenience sake.
- Drinking some nice wine or even tequila while socializing.
For the first two exceptions, I’ve devised a Paleo-friendly smoothie that is brimming with nutrition from healthy fats, probiotics, omega-3s, complete protein, natural electrolytes, antioxidants, fiber and a minimal amount of low glycemic carbohydrates. Sounds pretty good doesn’t it?
Protein is important for satiety and also for post workout recovery, which is why I incorporate a high quality natural grass-fed whey protein. You can substitute a vegan protein powder, and for the egg you can use half an avocado if you'd like. You can substitute coconut cream for the goat milk kefir for a vegan alternative.
- 120mL (1/2 cup) of organic coconut water
- 120mL (1/2 cup) of goat milk kefir
- 70g (1/2 cup) of frozen organic blueberries
- 1 pastured raw egg
- 1 scoop (23g) of grass-fed unflavored natural whey protein
- 1 Tbsp. (15g) of Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT) oil
- 2 tsp. (10g) of raw organic cocoa powder
- 1 scoop (7g) of collagen powder type 1 & 3 (optional)
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for around 10-15 seconds. Add some water if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- 462 calories
- 30g protein
- 30g fat
- 18g carb
- 270 cal from fat (58%)
- 120 cal from protein (26%)
- 72 cal from carbs (16%)