Happy Birthday, Roald Dahl! 13 Of His Greatest Quotes
Legendary children's writer Roald Dahl would have been 98 today, and in honor of the man who wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, and Fantastic Mr. Fox, we picked some of our favorite quotes to post here.
In addition to his writing, Dahl was a fighter ace for the Royal Air Force during World War II, a diplomat, and a spy. He lost a child to measles, but in spite of an often turbulent life, he dipped into a deep well of positivity to produce works adults and children alike know and love to this day.
1. "If you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it and above all become passionate about it."
2. "Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
3. "If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books."
4. "Don't gobblefunk around with words."
5. "I'm afraid men are not always quite as clever as they think they are."
6. "I like enthusiasts of any kind."
7. "If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams, and you will always look lovely."
8. "Come right up close to me and I will show you something wonderful."
9. "Books shouldn't be daunting, they should be funny, exciting and wonderful; and learning to be a reader gives a terrific advantage."
10. "A little magic can take you a long way."
11. "What a fortunate fellow I am, I kept telling myself. Nobody has ever had such a lovely time as this!"
12. "Above all watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places."
13. "A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it."
Happy birthday, Roald Dahl!