5 Fun & Easy Tips To Feng Shui Your Life

5 Fun & Easy Tips To Feng Shui Your Life Hero Image

Our environment acts as a backdrop to our lives, and is something we respond to on a daily basis. That's why, 20 years ago, I started studying the ancient Chinese practice of placement and arrangement of space, to achieve harmony and balance.

Have you ever noticed that whenever you get into a rut, no matter what you do, everything around you just becomes cluttered and stuck? Why does this happen? It happens because we are doing too much, feeling overwhelmed or scattered and our spaces are not clear. Not being clear in your head and heart manifests itself in your environment. Your environment shows you what you have been focusing on and what you are creating. Is it balance or is it chaos?

The next time you feel like your life is bursting at the seams, it might be time to stop, take a breath and tidy up a bit. This not only helps to clear the clutter in your space, but also the clutter in your mind. This sort of clear mind is called a Feng Shui mind — it's balanced and allows for inspiration to shine through.

Try these five simple techniques to clear your space, get the energy moving and feel inspiration flowing.

1. Clean your car.

ADVERTISEMENT

If you notice items thrown on the seats — wrappers, water bottles, mail, clothes, shoes that got left behind or gym bags with wet clothes — it’s time to empty out your car. If you spend a lot of time in your car, and your car is in chaos, every time you get in it, that chaos is affecting you too.

It’s worth the time to get your car clean.

2. Clean your wallet (or your purse).

You know your mind is cluttered when you can no longer close your wallet or find anything in your purse. Receipts, gum wrappers, coupons, reward cards, business cards and endless loose change are everywhere — it’s amazing how fast it all adds up.

How can so many things collect in such a short time, into such a small space? This mirror, of how fast things are moving, is a reminder to slow down, get caught up and bring it back into some semblance of order. It feels amazing to have a clean purse and an organized wallet. Clarity comes in simple acts.

3. Clean up your desk.

This one can seem daunting at times. The piles of papers, post-its, empty containers, unfinished projects and dried out pens can be overwhelming to tackle. I've found my desk in such chaos that I end up working on the floor, just to avoid dealing with it.

I find that the best way to tackle your desk is to take as much off as possible, so you start with a clean canvas, as if you are getting ready to paint a new picture. Dust and clean your desk first, then start putting things back, organizing along the way. When you're finished, sit down and ask yourself, does this environment have enough open space to bring clarity? Or is it still cluttered and holding me back?

4. Clean the refrigerator.

It’s a place that everyone visits every day, and what is inside it affects you. Does it smell good when you open the door? Or are things past the expiration date, reminding you of this every time you open the door?

Wiping down the shelves, so they sparkle, and throwing away the plastic containers, with things that are no longer identifiable, is therapeutic on many levels. It’s a simple act that keeps you in the moment. Plus, empty refrigerator shelf space gets the creative cooking juices flowing!

5. Do just one thing that you've been procrastinating doing.

It can be a simple act, but it should be something you encounter every day, and every day, you say to yourself, "I need to do that.” Still, you don’t. Throw away the dead plant at your front door. Fix the leaking faucet. Hang the pictures that have been lying against the wall since you moved in.

You will be amazed how much more wonderful everything feels after performing these five simple tasks!

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More