5 Ways Negative People Are Keeping You From Your Dream Life

Remember when you were young and believed anything was possible? It felt like you were floating on the clouds when you thought about your dreams. As you grow older the reality of life can set in, and your dreams fade away.

For 12 years I didn’t live; I existed. I didn’t think about my dreams; all I could do was survive. The death of my father was the wake-up call that shook me back to what I wanted my reality to be. I started to dream again.

As I started to chase my dream lifestyle, I told some good friends of mine. Well, I thought they were my friends. They were quick to point out the 100 reasons why I could never have that dream lifestyle.

These “friends” went beyond discouraging words to daily lectures on why I was stupid for wanting more for my life. I listened to these negative people for years, and it held me back.

You've probably experienced this in your life. You’re excited about a big change, you talk to someone you think will be supportive, and they pour water on your fire.

A negative person is a dream killer, and they could be keeping you from a truly amazing life. In fact, they could be keeping you from your dream life. Here are five ways they are holding you back.

1. They’re feeding your doubt.

Everyone struggles with that little voice in the back of our heads telling us our dreams are impossible. Every day we fight that voice to do the things we want to do in life.

A negative person amplifies that voice, and makes you think that voice is telling you the truth. A negative person makes your doubt real; they will make that doubt seem logical.

2. They’re validating your fear.

Just like doubt, we all struggle with fear. Fear is usually the number one reason we don’t chase our dream lifestyle. A negative person will feed into those fears.

They will point out those fears, give them a name, and place to run free in your mind. If you’re going to live your dream lifestyle, you have to conquer fear. You can conquer fear your fear with a good plan.

3. They’re distracting your focus.

To live your dream lifestyle you have to research what it will take, put a plan together, and then take daily action on that plan. Negative people will have you busy dealing with doubt and fear, which will distract your focus from taking action.

To live your dream lifestyle you’ll need incredible focus and perseverance. You’ll need to take this journey one day at a time. Instead of focusing on the big picture, wake up and focus on what you need to do that day. Chase your dream lifestyle one day at a time.

4. They’re adding to your stress.

Stress causes many health problems, too many to list here. Negative people add to your stress and push you to the point that kills dreams. The more you deal with that stress, the more bitter you become toward your dreams.

Chasing a dream is stressful enough. On this journey you’ll deal with disappointment, failure, fear, doubt, and things that will want to make you quit. Stress from negative people will end up being the icing on the cake.

5. They’re only looking out for themselves.

At the end of the day, negative people only manifest the things they struggle with themselves. There are some things you should watch out for on the journey to create your dream lifestyle, but it’s not the things negative people are telling you.

Negative people are terrified. They’re afraid of their dreams, but more than anything, they’re afraid of you leaving them behind. The way they deal with that fear is by trying to hold you back. You have to do what’s right for your life, not anyone else’s.

I’m glad I didn’t listen to those friends. When I stopped listening to the negative people, ignored my doubt, and conquered my fear, I made my dream lifestyle my reality.

I lost 170 pounds, I quit a job I hated, and our family moved from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to our dream destination of Maui, Hawaii. Anyone can do this, too.

I refused to let negative people hold me back. Time is the only thing we can never get back. Don’t waste the precious few moments we have here on this earth letting a negative person holding you back. This can be your story too.

Have you ever let a negative person hold you back?

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!