In all my years as meditation teacher and mentor I see a lot of suffering caused by breakups. Breakups are hard, but that doesn't mean you can never heal again. In fact, one of the best things that you can do is to spend some time on your own.

Now don't get me wrong, friends and family can definitely lend you the support you need but at the end of the day the only person who can heal you from any pain is yourself. And those moments of being alone will help you gain some perspective on how you can grow from what you experienced. So here are a few activities that will help you get back on your feet during those trying times:

1. Traveling

There's a reason Eat Pray Love is such a popular book. While we may not necessarily end up finding our true love like Elizabeth Gilbert did, we can still fall in love with the places we go to and allow a different side of ourselves to surface. Unlike traveling with people, exploring new places on your own pushes you out of your comfort zone and keeps you in check with what you enjoy doing without the influence of others. This is why it's always good to go out on your own and explore this world — even if it's just one time!

2. Writing

ADVERTISEMENT

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then write your feelings out as much as you want. Writing allows me to find a voice that I would not usually use. Writing about an event like heartbreak without any form of hesitation will allow you to release all your thoughts until the mind is completely empty and there's nothing left to be said. Once you get yourself to that point, you'll realize that you can finally heal from the pain and accept what has happened.

3. Walking

If traveling is something you're not ready to do, walking or hiking somewhere nearby can give you a sense of fulfillment as well. It's almost therapeutic, as we let our physical bodies exercise and roam the scenery that surround us. My suggestion is to take a walk where nature is at its best, such as beaches, forests, or parks as the air you breathe as you walk will clear your mind instantly.

4. Meditating

Unlike these activities I listed, meditation is probably one of the most powerful activities you can use to heal. While I also believe in group meditation, I often receive fascinating epiphanies after spending that quality time by myself. Meditation keeps you in the present, and deepens that connection to your own radiant heart center. In time, the healing will be complete when you truly embrace your own gentle lovingness, regardless of a breakup or not.

So tell me, what solo activities have you done in order to heal from a breakup? Did it work? Share your thoughts with me in the comments section below.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More