B.K.S. Iyengar Dead At 95
Yoga legend B.K.S. Iyengar passed away today at age 95.
In remembrance, here are 10 of our favorite quotes from the man who inspired so many yogis around the world:
1. "Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open."
2. "Penetration of our mind is our goal, but in the beginning to set things in motion, there is no substitute for sweat."
3. "The highest point of yesterday should be the lowest point of today."
4. "Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured."
5. "Yoga, an ancient but perfect science, deals with the evolution of humanity. This evolution includes all aspects of one's being, from bodily health to self-realization. Yoga means union – the union of body with consciousness and consciousness with the soul. Yoga cultivates the ways of maintaining a balanced attitude in day-to-day life and endows skill in the performance of one's actions."
6. "When you inhale, you are taking the strength from God. When you exhale, it represents the service you are giving to the world."
7. "Yoga is a light, which once lit, will never dim. The better your practice, the brighter the flame."
8. "Illuminated emancipation, freedom, unalloyed and untainted bliss await you, but you have to choose to embark on the Inward Journey to discover it."
9. "Change is not something that we should fear. Rather, it is something that we should welcome. For without change, nothing in this world would ever grow or blossom, and no one in this world would ever move forward to become the person they're meant to be."
10. "I always tell people, live happily and die majestically."