Prickly pear cactus, more commonly known in Mexico as nopal, is a true oasis of nutrition. This desert-loving plant offers a full range of amino acids and is loaded with potassium, magnesium, vitamin C and antioxidants. If eaten before a party night, nopal can even help prevent a hangover!
Nopal has become a staple in my Mexican kitchen. I use it in stir-frys, green smoothies, juices, salads and tacos! Check out this yummy recipe for nopal tacos.
- 1 cup chopped or diced nopales
- 1/2 purple onion, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- Sliced avocado
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 5 — 6 sprouted grain tortillas
- Fresh cilantro
Heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the nopales. Add sea salt and pepper and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
Spread veggie mixture onto heated tortillas. Top with avocado and beans.
Add salsa and cilantro for some additional kick.