5 Ways Life Gets Better When You Give Up Booze

About two years ago, I made a life-changing decision, one that had seemed impossible to actually follow through on before I finally did it: I stopped drinking.

Here are the five reasons why:

1. I wanted to start enjoying my mornings.

When I got drunk, no matter how much I'd hydrate afterwards, I would get headaches the morning after. Even if I only had a glass of wine, I would spend the next day hung-over and feeling negative about my day. Since stopping drinking, I wake up each day with enthusiasm about what the day will hold and I feel a lot more optimistic about what's ahead of me and I actually enjoy my mornings!

2. I got tired of acting like a fool.

While drinking, we often act on our impulses and do things we'd normally be ashamed to do. Just before I stopped drinking, I went through a breakup and when I started drinking, my anger towards my former partner would get unleashed onto other people. Since I've stopped drinking, I don't have to apologize to someone about sending an unnecessarily nasty text message. I have been able to assume all responsibility over my body and my actions.

3. I wanted to remember the things that I do and the people that I meet.

It has become socially acceptable to joke with friends about some seriously terrifying behavior, such as not remembering how you got home and making a big joke of drinking and forgetting your belongings, your manners or your pride. I would meet people and forget it ever even happened. My life felt disorganized when I would hang out with the party crowd. In the past two years, I have met awesome people and I actually remember them! I never feel out-of-control in the way that I used to, and I don't feel as though my life is falling apart.

4. I wanted to like myself.

When I drank, I didn't like myself. I didn't like myself because I would ask why I continued to do something that made me feel so unhealthy and that led to such unhealthy choices. I would also end up eating a lot after a night out, wake up the next day with regret and feel awful about who I was and what I had done the night before. Once, I stopped drinking, I was able to eat and drink things that contributed to my physical health which reduced the shame and guilt which I had previously felt.

5. I wanted to be a nicer person.

After a few drinks, I would become impatient and rude. Things that wouldn't have bothered me if I hadn't been drunk bothered me while I was drinking. I would wake up the next day with recollections of being so rude, which left me shocked and disgusted because I knew better than to treat others that way. After deciding to rid my life of alcohol, I no longer wake up feeling like a let-down to myself and others because I can consciously treat people the way that they deserve to be treated: with respect.

These are my five reasons for ridding my life of alcohol. What are your reasons for staying sober?

Feeling a little fatigued? Feel like something's just not right, but Western Medicine tells you, "you're fine"? Jason Wachob, founder & CEO of mindbodygreen, tells all in his health story. Sign up now for FREE!

Related Posts

Sites We Love

Functional Nutrition Webinar

Learn How To Eat Right For Your Brain

Get Free Access Now Loading next article...

Your article and new folder have been saved!