Here are my 5 healthy guidelines around coffee consumption:
1. Have one cup of organic dark roasted coffee in the morning, before a workout, and one cup in the afternoon.
2. Do your body and mind a favor by grinding the beans yourself right before making the coffee.
3. If you're using a filter, make sure it's not chlorine-bleached.
4. Use organic beans and, if possible, fair trade.
5. Avoid artificial creamers and added sugar.
Butter in my coffee? Yes please!
I use grass fed butter and/or organic coconut oil in my coffee. When I was younger, an Icelandic uncle of mine was a fisherman in an open boat. He and his crew used to have black coffee with cod liver oil and butter before they took off in the wintertime.
He was confident that it saved their lives when it got crazy at sea. Following suit, I started to use butter in my coffee. This way, my coffee is not only a healthier option — it’s a spiritual journey through my most precious memories.