Being an adult can be difficult. With an endless stream of stress, difficult demands, unexpected surprises, disease, family issues and even death of loved ones, it’s no wonder many of us struggle to stay happy.
But no matter how hard your life feels right now, consider how far you’ve already come. When we're young, we often feel invincible, as if we can conquer the world. Our idealistic approach to life gives us the badge of courage needed to ignore difficulties. But one life stress after another can pile on and tear down that courageous wall, leaving resentment, regret and fear.
Many of us try to be happy. But despite our best efforts, we keep falling victim to the endless harassment of our lives.
If you could go back in time to your younger self, you might have some friendly words to share. Words of compassion, hope and confident bliss.
In my life coaching sessions, I help people overcome self-sabotage and doubt. Most of it starts when we're younger. So if we’re trying to reverse internal emotional frustration, we can start by revisiting our younger selves and share lessons we’ve learned. This is an empowering technique that helps you realize how well you are actually doing. What would you say to your younger self?
Here are 11 things I wish I could tell my younger self:
1. There’s no need to worry because everything always works out in the end.
2. For real happiness, focus on how your life feels instead of how it looks.
3. What other people say and do has nothing to do with you. It is a reflection of them.
4. Falling down is a mandatory aspect of life. Getting back up is living.
5. The only person holding you back is yourself.
6. The fastest way to solve a problem is to stop participating in the problem.
7. There is no expiration date on real love. It never leaves the heart, it just changes form.
8. The thing you hate most about yourself is often what other people love you.
9. Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you made. If you want a new outcome, make a different choice.
10. The best advice is felt in your heart not directed from your head.
11. The sooner you can like yourself, the easier life will be.
If you want to make your own happiness list grab this FREE Love Your Life to The Fullest Guide.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.