7 Foods To Supercharge Your Smoothies

Would you like to experience greater levels of vitality in your life?

Smoothies are a great way to ensure you get the proper amount of plant based nutritional goodness in your diet, particularly if you have a busy lifestyle.

I love to start my day by blending up a fresh fruit or green smoothie as I find that it sets me up for an amazing day full of energy.

Personally, I like to pack as much nutritional value into my morning smoothies as I can. Over the summer months, I enjoy adding in seasonal and locally grown fruits and vegetables to my smoothies.

I also like to super-charge them by mixing in an array of superfoods. Not only do they give me an added energy boost, I also feel satisfied for longer.

Below are seven of the best foods that you can start adding to your smoothies for that extra nutritional punch.

1. Spirulina powder

Spirulina is an algae and is one of the true superfoods. Spirulina is rich in chlorophyll, protein, iron and essential amino acids and is great for helping remove toxins from the blood stream while naturally boosting the immune system. You can purchase spirulina in powered form to easily blend into your green smoothies.

2. Wheat grass

Wheat grass is another excellent addition to any green smoothie and can be added in either powdered or liquid form. Wheat grass contains many essential minerals including calcium, potassium and magnesium. Wheat grass is well known for its ability to boost immunity, aid digestion and support liver detoxification.

3. Flax seeds

Flax seeds (also called linseeds) are a great source of essential fatty acids, antioxidants and other wonderful nutrients. Many people have trouble digesting flax seeds. A great way of enjoying all the benefits of flax seeds is to grind them in a coffee grinder or blender, and then you can add them directly into your smoothie. A tablespoon will go a long way to help create a truly nutritious smoothie!

4. Chia seeds

Chia seeds are full of nutritional goodness, providing a sustainable slow release form of energy and are a great way to increase brain function. The Omega 3 fatty acids make them a true super food. Like flax seeds, they can also be a little difficult to have on their own. Smoothies are an excellent way to add chia seeds into your diet and all you have to do is blend them in.

5. Maca powder

Maca powder comes from the ground up maca root. Maca originated in the Andes mountains of Peru and has been revered for centuries for its healing properties. Maca is full of nutritional goodness and renowned for the support it provides for the natural functioning of the endocrine system. In its powdered form it’s very easy to add into your smoothie.

6. Plant-based protein powder

We need protein in our diet to keep us going strong and help our body to function at its optimal level. Adding a plant based protein powder can help to build strength within the body as well as boost workout recovery. A plant based protein powder can make a smoothie feel more substantial and can also contribute to natural weight loss and health.

7. Cacao nibs

Cacao nibs are small chunks of de-husked roasted cocoa beans, which are nature's version of a dairy-free, sugar-free chocolate chip. The nibs provide a chocolate inspired flavor and provide an excellent contrast for the taste buds in any green smoothie. Cacao nibs are rich in calcium, iron, zinc, potassium and are also a great source of magnesium. Magnesium is essential for bone strength, tissue repair and healthy nerve functioning.

For more healthy tips, you can download the first chapter of my book called 'Losing Weight is a Healing Journey' for FREE.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!