Not only is this gorgeous and delicious, but all the components can be cut, grilled and assembled ahead of time, then warmed in the oven right before serving. Your family or dinner guests will think you're a rock star! I guarantee it!
Note: I grilled the vegetables on a sealed indoor electric grill so the vegetables didn't dry out or fall through the holes in the grill. If you want to grill outdoors, you can place a piece of thick foil dotted with small punctures over the grill. If you have a grill pan, you can place that over the grill.
Grilled Vegetable Napoleon (It's Gluten-Free!)
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 4 1/4-inch pieces, lengthwise.
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 8 1/4-inch pieces, lengthwise
- 2 large slicing tomatoes, cut into 8 1/4-inch circular pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into thin circular (or semi-circular) slices
- Fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 1/4-inch circular slices
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf Italian parsley, stems removed and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Grill the vegetables (on medium/high) until soft and you see the grill lines and turn. About 5 - 10 minutes or so on each side depending on the heat source.
This step is optional but it adds great flavor. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the garlic (a few pepper flakes for heat if you like) and cook just until the garlic begins to color - about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat immediately, add in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Place two pieces of eggplant in a baking tray or dish. Season. Drizzle with the oil/garlic/parsley mixture.
Follow with 4 pieces of tomato, season and top with 4 pieces of mozzarella. Season. Drizzle with the oil/garlic/parsley mixture
Top that with 4 pieces of the zucchini, season and repeat.
Add the onions on top. Season. Drizzle with the oil/garlic/parsley mixture.