Bugs, sunburns, poison ivy. Summer, while refreshing and wonderful, is also full of itchy traps. None of us want to end up in the hospital begging for cortisone shots.

Here are some suggestions to help get you and your skin through the summer in one piece:

1. Dealing with a sunburn

Unfortunately, even with the best intentions, sunscreen doesn't always spare us from a sunburn. I recommend aloe gel to soothe sunburns. Better yet, you can even keep an aloe plant growing in your home and break off leaves as you need them (great for kitchen burns too, by the way).

Peppermint oil is also very soothing and cooling. Add a few drops to a spray bottle full of water and mist yourself for relief.

ADVERTISEMENT

2. Moisturizing dry skin

When it comes to dry skin, hydration is key. Make sure you’re drinking enough fluids. Sleep is also really important for your skin, so get as much sleep as possible. And of course, keep feeding your skin a good, natural moisturizer.

Coconut oil is a great option. Apply it, or any body oil, as soon as you’ve finished a shower, as soap and hot water can be very drying for your skin, and the post-shower water will help the oil to soak into your skin.

3. Soothing bug bites

A few drops of lavender in a spray bottle of water will work wonders on bug bites. Melaleuca or tea tree oil applied directly to the bite will also calm the itching.

Keep some peppermint leaves in the freezer to apply to sunburns or bug bites.

4. Taming poison ivy

If you come into contact with poison ivy, you'll need to scrub the oils off of you as quickly as possible to avoid breaking out with the dreaded rash.

But .. if you’re too late for all of that: oatmeal, lavender, peppermint, frankincense, myrrh, and jewelweed are all great for soothing itchy, inflamed skin. Rub these directly on the affected area, but be careful not to touch yourself (use a cloth, or paper towel to dab).

5. Niping it in the bud: always use sunscreen

Make sure you never leave the house with out your sunblock on! I use sunscreen WHENEVER I go outside, whether I’m going to be out running or just running to the grocery store. If my skin is exposed to the sun, I spray on some sunscreen before I go outside.

I’ve just shared some great tips to help keep your skin hydrated and soothed through the summer months. What are your natural remedies for itchy skin during the summer?

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More