I absolutely love replicating my favorite restaurant dishes from simply remembering the way they tasted, the texture, and imagining what ingredients might be in them. This particular risotto is a very healthy (oil-free, sugar-free, gluten-free AND vegan!), easy-to-make version of V-Note NYC’s Creamy Three Mushroom Risotto.
I also take great pleasure in feeding non-vegans foods that they can’t imagine are vegan, and telling them after the fact; this dish totally allows that! It only takes one (oven-safe) pot, and very little hands-on work. Enjoy!
Veganize That: Creamy Mushroom-Pea Risotto
- 2 cups brown basmati rice or grain of choice
- 4 boxes of assorted mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 16 ounces peas (if frozen, allow to thaw to room temperature)
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- ¾ cup vegan nutritional yeast
- ½ to 1 ounce white nut cheese (depending on how cheesy you like it!)
- Fresh rosemary, 2 sprigs, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: truffle salt to taste
Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In an oven-safe pot, on your stovetop, sauté mushrooms and onion 4-6 minutes in vegetable stock, as needed (keep adding just enough to cover the bottom of the pot as it evaporates.)
Add salt, pepper and rosemary (and / or truffle salt) to taste. (Truffle salt greatly enhances the mushroom flavor!)
Add rice, stir 1 minute.
Add remaining vegetable stock, bring to a boil, then cover and bake (about 40 min or as long as grain of choice needs.)
Stir in peas, nutritional yeast, nut cheese, and a dash of truffle salt.
Garnish with fresh rosemary springs, if desired, and serve!