When I first started doing health and life coaching, I thought all I had to do was blog a little bit and people would beat down my door to work with me and buy my books.

After a few months of nothing happening, I finally caught on to the self-sabotaging ways that were driving my business straight to the graveyard of tanking businesses.

Here are seven of the ways I sabotaged my businesses. See if you can relate.

1. I let my perfectionism run the show.

I lost days tweaking my website, changing graphics, and writing the most “perfect” copy the world has ever read. At the time, I thought I was just getting everything in perfect order for my next project to launch.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, now that I know myself better, I realize that I was actually stalling in fear that my work wouldn’t be good enough and people wouldn’t like me.

When you notice that you’re constantly preparing, planning, and trying to get everything perfect, ask yourself if all the tweaks are absolutely necessary, or if you’re just afraid to put yourself out there because somebody may not like what you do and criticize you.

2. I didn't deal with my fear of success.

I thought I wanted to be an overnight sensation and inspire the world with my words, but every time I wrote something, I was afraid to press publish. I'd criticize my work, ditch the project, and decide to do something else that would be even bigger and better. And that pattern just kept happening over and over again.

When you notice yourself switching directions as soon as you launch a project, ask yourself if these changes will make the new project better, or you're afraid that what you’re doing might get really big if you follow through. Success can be scary.

3. I was afraid of rejection.

I told myself that I didn’t like networking and refused to build relationships with other professionals. I wanted to do everything on my own and be a self-made man. In the end, I didn’t build any relationships and I didn’t build an audience.

If you find yourself insisting that you don’t like networking and don't need to, ask yourself if you really believe that or if you’re afraid of putting yourself out there and possible being rejected.

4. I undervalued my skills and my time.

I went above and beyond for all my programs. I offered so much information, bonuses, and time to my clients for a very reasonable (ahem, cheap) price!

I thought I was giving great value, but in reality I wasn’t recognizing my worth. I worried people would say that my programs were too expensive or that I wasn’t worth the price.

If you find yourself adding more and more content, information, gifts, and bonuses to your programs, ask yourself if you're really afraid that you’re not worth enough.

5. I was everywhere and burnt out.

When I moved my business online, I followed all the marketing gurus’ tips on how to make money on the Internet. I was blogging, Facebooking, Tweeting, Instagraming, posting on Google +, and making YouTube videos almost everyday. I believed that I had to be everywhere so everyone could see me and purchase my services. After doing this for a while, I was exhausted and lost my motivation to be anywhere.

If you find yourself connected to every social media platform for hours every day, ask yourself if you're trying to be in too many places at once. Ask yourself: Is it a sustainable practice or a wreck just waiting to happen?

6. I focused on sales instead of joy.

It’s true that sales are the lifeline of your business. If you don’t have paying customers, you don’t have a business. However, I was all about increasing sales, no matter what type of work I had to do.

I started doing different types of programs that I didn’t enjoy because others were making a killing doing them. However, I knew my heart wasn’t in it and the programs tanked because they didn’t give me joy.

If you find yourself starting a new program or creating a new product just because it could make you a lot of money, your customers will notice that your heart isn’t in it and go elsewhere to buy. Ask yourself: If I had all the money in the world, would I be doing this?

7. I was afraid to ask for what I wanted because I didn't want to ruffle feathers.

Nobody likes to hear the word no. I tried my hardest to never hear this word and sold myself out in every business deal. I made it impossible for people to say no to me by giving them everything they wanted instead of what I needed to make my business grow. I worried that asking for what I wanted would mean that I'd have to quibble over details.

Finally, I realized that I didn’t have to argue over details to get what I wanted. I just had to be willing to ask a simple question when we sat down to negotiate: “Would you be willing to do this instead?”

If you find yourself constantly making concessions because you want to avoid conflict, ask yourself, How is not asking for what I need working out for me?

If you’ve made any of these mistakes ever in your business, check out these gentle nudges from your Higher Self and remember that you deserve to have a thriving business. You’re worth all the abundance, prosperity, and peace you could ever dream of having.

Photo Credit: Stocksy.com

Explore More