99% Is a Bitch - 100% Is a Breeze

Jack (Chicken Soup for the Soul) Canfield has a great line. He says: “99% is a bitch. 100% is a breeze.”

Classic.

Are you looking to start a new habit? That thing you just *know* you could be doing that’d totally take your life to the next level if you did it consistently? Might be meditating, exercising, journaling, reading more, eating well or some other empowering habit you could add to your life.

Or, you might be trying to *stop* an old habit—might be no longer yelling at your kids or zoning out in front of the TV, aimlessly surfing the Internet, smoking, drinking, whatever.

If you’ve failed to make a habit either stick or go away, I’d be willing to bet that you had a 99% (at best) commitment.

But, as Sir Canfield tells us, 99% is a bitch.

100%? That’s where it’s at.

Let’s say you commit to meditating every day for the rest of your life (one of my commitments and I’m almost two years in at this point). You’re BOUND to wake up one day with that whiney little voice inside your head that says, “You know, we deserve a day off today. I mean, come on. We’re tired. What’s ONE day off? Don’t be a freak about it. Relax.”

If you’ve only got a 99% commitment you might respond with “Hmmm… You know, you’re right. We *do* deserve a day off, huh? One day won’t hurt. Yah, let’s take today off then we’ll crush it tomorrow.

And, wham. You’re screwed. Habit installation thwarted. Ten days later you wonder what happened to your meditation practice. D’oh.

The solution? We’ve gotta identify what we’re REALLY (!) committed to in our lives. Then pick ONE thing we’re absolutely, 100% committed to rockin’ and make our commitment NON-NEGOTIABLE.

Not 99% or 99.8%.

100%.

Then, when that little whiney voice pops up (which it will), we just ignore it and go on with creating an awesome life.

(So, uh, what are you gonna make a 100% commitment to?)

Explore More