When I was in my master’s degree program, one of the teachers presenting had us do a “self-care assessment.” I had never even heard the word self-care when she started presenting.
We often forget to take care of the most important thing: ourselves. When we are on an airplane, the flight attendant tells us at the beginning of the flight that in the event of emergency to put our own oxygen mask on before helping other people – if we do not take care of ourselves, we cannot be there for those around us.
In the spirit of taking care of ourselves first, here are 28 ideas to spark some self-care in your life this month:
1. Take a bath.
2. Get a massage.
3. Go to the park.
4. Go on a walk.
5. Take time to be sexual – with yourself or your partner.
6. Try something new where you’re not in control or the expert.
7. Play with a child.
8. Visit a family member and get coffee.
9. Organize your DVDs and books and sell the ones you don’t want anymore.
10. Go to a yoga class.
11. Do your favorite DIY activity.
12. Write in a journal.
13. Sing karaoke.
14. Turn off your computer, tablet, and cell phone for two hours.
15. Watch your favorite movie from childhood.
16. Organize your iTunes music.
17. Get a manicure/pedicure.
18. Get lost in a magazine.
19. Dance around in your apartment.
20. Try a guided meditation.
21. Visit that new restaurant you’ve been wanting to go to.
22. Read for pleasure.
24. Eat chocolate.
25. Go walk around your favorite store without buying anything.
26. Pick up the phone and call an old friend.
27. Be a tourist in your own town.
28. Start a gratitude journal.