Grilling season is upon us, and with it comes meals cooked on the grill and eaten al fresco in the company of friends and family. This meal is a testament to the fact that we've come a long way from hamburgers, hot dogs and steak.
Try grilling a thick slice of cauliflower instead of steak; it's delicious, and much prettier! Then saute some mushrooms in a skillet, right on the grill too! Make some kale chips in the oven ahead of time to send this meal over the veggie top. I think this is going to be a summer classic, don't you?
Here's what and how:
Grilled Cauliflower Steak With Mushrooms & Kale Chips
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut in 4 one-inch slices through the whole head
- 8 ounces (226.8 g) of your favorite mushrooms, cut in chunks (I use crimini or baby bella)
- 1 large bunch of fresh kale, torn from the center stem in bite sized pieces
- 4 Tbsp. of olive oil (approximate) (60 ml)
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan (optional) (14.2 g)
- 5 - 6 slices of sun-dried tomatoes, cut into filets
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and chopped parsley
Directions for cauliflower steak
Oil both sides of each slice and place on a medium-hot grill.
Grill for about 10 - 15 on each side or just until golden and can easily be pierced with a fork
Season with sea salt and finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Directions for the mushrooms
Place a saute pan over a hot grill. Add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat
Add the mushrooms and cook until golden. Don't over-stir (about 5 minutes)
Add garlic and sun dried tomatoes.
Cook for a few moments more. Remove from the heat and season.
Directions for the kale chips
Wash and dry the greens.
Toss with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil or just enough to coat the kale
Place on a tray lined with parchment paper
Sprinkle with sea salt and if you like, grated Parmesan.
Bake in a preheated 300 degree Fahrenheit oven (149 C) for about 15 minutes or until chips are crisp and golden.