Get Your Crunch On: Make Your Own Tortilla Chips In 30 Seconds (Gluten-Free)
Some people crave chocolate or ice cream; I have a serious need for crunch in my life. Conventional chips nowadays usually contain gluten or are cooked with not-so-good-for-you oils such as peanut or corn, so I try to stay away from these. So what’s a girl to do when she needs crunch in a hurry? These tortilla chips cook up in less than 30 seconds, are crispy, gluten-free and pair perfectly with salsa, guacamole or a batch of my black bean dip!
Why coconut oil? Coconut oil has a lot of health benefits – but the objection I hear most is about the high fat content. Although it is high in saturated fat, a large part of this fat is made up of medium chain fatty acids – which are shorter in structure than regular saturated fat. What does this mean for you? The shorter length makes them more likely to be burned for energy rather than stored as fat! Coconut oil also has a high tolerance to heat and is safe to use at higher temperatures.
Homemade Tortilla Chips (Gluten-Free)
- 1/8 cup organic virgin coconut oil (plus extra for refreshing the skillet oil)
- 4-5 yellow corn tortillas (1 tortilla makes 8 chips)
- Sea salt
1. Cut the tortillas into chip-sized triangles.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1/8 cup of coconut oil over high heat until melted.
3. Place the first batch of chips in the oil, fitting as many as you can without overlap.
4. Be ready — these cook quick! Using tongs, flip the chips after 5-15 seconds of cooking, cook for another 5-15 seconds, then remove, placing them on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with sea salt.
5. Continue adding batches until you reach the desired amount.
Make up your own spice blends to toss the chips in after cooking. Try smoked paprika, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, curry powder, cumin or anything else you can come up with!
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Whole 30? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.