5 Easy Ways To Fall In Love With Yourself

5 Easy Ways To Fall In Love With Yourself Hero Image

One thing I have learned from working with hundreds of people on an intimate basis is that most of us have a tendency to make life and life’s decisions more complicated for ourselves than they really are. We tell ourselves that whatever challenge we face, we'll take care of later and so we postpone our problems, when in reality we are postponing our lives. There is no time like the present to choose a great and happy life.

Here are 5 simple ways to reset and set yourself up for success and happiness.

1. Make your environment beautiful and pleasant.

Trying to create an amazing life when your surroundings are a mess isn’t a conducive way to make your dreams come true. Start putting positive intention and love into your surroundings and the way you live, breathe, work, and make decisions will also become more beautiful.

This is a great way to honor yourself and value your ideas, aspirations, and dreams. Spend a few minutes tidying up your desk, make a delicious and nutritious lunch, buy yourself some flowers today.

ADVERTISEMENT

2. Be nice to yourself.

Shifting our internal dialogue to one that is respectful, kind, and supportive is the number one thing I help my clients shift in my work as a life coach. I know from personal experience that this takes practice and consistent focus. I also know that truly liking and approving of yourself is a key element when it comes to elevating your existence and truly leading a happy life.

Your relationship with yourself is the most intimate one you have. If that relationship is mean, derogatory, sarcastic, and disrespectful, how is everything else in your life supposed to flourish? If this is difficult for you, pull up a picture of yourself from when you were a young child and ask yourself every time your inner dialogue begins to be abusive, if you’d talk to yourself as a child that way. This is a great way to adopt a kinder way of speaking with yourself.

3. Create a positive community.

Our relationships matter so much. Not only do they provide safety, stability, and connection, they also foster a greater sense of personal identity and belonging. Knowing that you are part of something greater builds resiliency, accountability, and increases emotional and physical health across the board.

Make sure you connect with others over positivity and what does work in life (not over shared misery and what is NOT working in your life). Dare to be that shining light in your own community.

4. Focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses.

In a society that is obsessed with being perfect, looking perfect, acting perfect, it's easy to get caught up in the constant struggle to eradicate any possible weakness while taking our strengths for granted. I see this drive to be perfect and without flaws in my clients all the time and it really creates a massive feeling of being stuck.

Instead of being defined by your weaknesses and spending your time and energy on eradicating them, start to shift your attention to the optimization of your strength. That is where your greatest potential lies. Ask yourself what you really enjoy doing. What brings you pleasure? What comes naturally? Then go there and put your energy and love into it.

5. Celebrate more.

Many of us have this underlying belief that unless something is really difficult, it doesn’t deserve celebration. However, when we operate from a place of utilizing our core strengths, the tasks seem much simpler because they are intuitive for us. Recognize your achievements: whether the journey was easy or hard, and give yourself and those around you permission to celebrate.

In the comments below, I’d love to hear from you. What will you commit to shifting in order to make your life better and more pleasurable?

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More