30 Simple Ways To Make Your Life A Little Greener
Earth Day may be over, but we should each make an effort to be green all year round. If we all make a few small changes, we can have a big impact on saving the Earth.
Here are 30 simple steps you can take to be more green:
1. Meal plan efficiently so you don't waste food.
3. Participate in Meatless Monday.
4. Carpool to the office.
5. Wear your clothes a few times before washing, including pants, sweaters, and items that don't collect a lot of dirt.
6. Turn off water when brushing your teeth.
7. Buy local and freeze leftovers, like herbs, in-season produce, etc.
8. Plan your errands so you make fewer trips.
9. Conduct an at-home energy audit.
10. Plant your own organic garden.
11. Practice rainwater harvesting.
12. Give old newspapers to animal shelters, or cancel your subscription and read news online.
13. Unplug appliances and electronics when not in use.
14. Use reusable shopping bags. Keep them handy so you don't forget!
15. Use reusable water bottles and reusable coffee mugs.
16. Make your own portioned food instead of buying it in packs.
17. Fix any leaks in your home, which can account for more than 10,000 gallons of water every year.
18. Buy used items and donate or sell your own.
19. Buy energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, and make sure your windows are sealed and efficient.
20. Have receipts emailed rather than printed when the choice is available.
21. Buy toxin free makeup and bath products to keep chemicals out of the ground and your body (or make your own!).
22. Buy organic produce when possible — fertilizers and pesticides are ruining our soil.
23. Turn off lights when you leave a room, and try using natural lighting if you're home during the day.
24. Spend more time outside and less time watching TV and on the computer.
25. Recycle your electronics properly, such as batteries, computers and cellphones.
26. Don't buy new appliances just because the newest model has come out. Save your money and our landfills.
27. Clean out your car.
28. Buy used books or e-books.
29. Opt in to paperless billing and pay your bills online.
30. Wash laundry in cold water instead of hot.
Post your easy green tips in the comments below. Let's all commit to making one green change per week this year.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.