Of course this is an exaggeration, but it does feel like you can get the ZAP no matter what food you eat; meaning that ‘ZAP… wrong’ when you think you are eating healthy.
*How about this yummy protein bar? ZAP!
(Bars can have tons of sugar and ingredients you can’t pronounce.)
*How about this frozen food meal that has limited calories? ZAP!
(Frozen meals often contain very little nutritional value that lack vitamins, minerals, and enzymes.)
*How about this delicious low calorie drink that is “organic” and better than soda? Zap!
(Drinks can contain 35+ grams of sugar that have the capacity to convert to calories in the body.) Ow…didn’t even see that one coming.
It can be overwhelming especially if you are trying to do all of this with little time, high stress, demanding taste buds, and for a low price.
Want to eat healthier and deal with a few extra pounds? Keep it simple and don’t get sucked into the nutritional black hole!
1. Drink water only.
2. If you love your coffee in the morning enjoy it and be mindful of all the “extras” that can add up the calories.
3. Eat half of what is on your dinner plate.
4. Avoid tons of processed foods (things that can live on the shelf or in a freezer for years and years).
5. Try to prepare your meals and avoid doing too much or any microwaving.
6. Unless you are on the road then stay away from food you can get in your car and out of a window. NO DRIVE THRU!
7. Eat all colors of the rainbow every day; green, orange, red, white, brown etc. Mix it up. Salad is just green. We need all kinds of colorful foods to complete a healthy diet.
8. Don’t skip breakfast.
9. Eat for your body type. Figure out which way (high protein, 50-50, or more veggies) makes you feel good.
10. Cut back on sugar, wheat (bread, pastas, flour), and white products in general (too much dairy, cheese, etc) and you will see a difference.
11. NO CORN SYRUP – it’s everywhere!!!!! By drinking water only you will help yourself immensely.
12. If you are going to eat junk eat the real stuff and enjoy it. Don’t eat fat free or low calorie foods. Do the real deal, and make it a treat and not a habit.
13. Don’t suffer. Get creative about eating foods that can actually taste good but don’t have harmful ingredients. Believe me there is a lot of information out there about how to prepare yummy, healthy recipes.
14. Don’t stress about it. This ends up hurting more than anything else you could eat. STRESS is the unhealthiest thing you can do to yourself.
15. Be mindful of snacking yourself into calorie overdrive. Eat mindful meals and avoid too much snacking.
16. Eat when you’re hungry and don’t wait until you are starving. This will create a dynamic to over eat, and you'll most likely grab the first thing you see (basket of bread they put out on the table).
17. Do it today. Why wait? You don’t have to do a total overhaul all at once. Baby steps and you’ll get there.