5 Easy Ways To Care For Your Home & The Planet!

5 Easy Ways To Care For Your Home & The Planet! Hero Image

With threats of radiation, global warming, polar shifts, and extinctions, it’s easy to become apathetic about the state of our planet. Saving the world can get overwhelming really quickly. So I have to come back to myself and do what I can in my more immediate world. Mahatma Gandhi’s famous quote, “Be the change you want to see in the world,” speaks to this. But I equally love this quote by Gandhi:

“Our contribution to the world must consist of setting our own house in order.”

If we each take care of the plot of land and space that we take up on Mother Earth, then we have contributed greatly to the betterment of healing the planet.

Here are some ways in which you can do this starting today!

1. Leave your space in better shape than when you moved in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Anytime you move out of a space, vow to yourself that it will look better than when you moved in. Like ourselves, our living spaces should always be improving — whether that is aesthetically with décor, structurally through maintenance and repairs, or by simply cleaning it.

2. Make repairs.

There is no bigger energy suck than broken items or things in disrepair. A home has feelings too. An area that needs repairing, i.e. a cracked wall due to a water leak, is like a trauma to a home. Unfortunately repairs can be expensive and not always tended to as a result. However, try to make repairs before making investments in another area (like buying that big leather sofa you’ve been eyeing)!

3. Clear clutter.

The other big energy trap in homes is clutter. You may be wondering, "How does going through my closet save the planet?" In fact, you may even be thinking that you would rather not contribute to the landfill with the broken espresso machine that you got on clearance. But, instead, you are actually making your home the landfill. And you can also consider donating items to charity or bringing them to your local thrift store.

Create the best energy you can in your living space so that you can be the person you can be in the world. And always do your best to reduce, reuse, and recycle!

4. Use feng shui principles.

There really is something to this 4000-year old practice. Feng shui is about harmonizing our living spaces with Mother Earth. But more importantly, it’s about bringing consciousness into your living space. If your home has a good energy flow, you are contributing to healing the planet. You have control over the quarter-acre, 10 acres or 400 square feet of space you are occupying on the planet. Grab a feng shui book, a consultant, or simply move things around until a room feels better to you.

5. Add curb appeal.

The outside of our home is just as important as the inside. The front of the house represents the face that we put forward into the world, and the back of the house represents our inner world that most people don’t see as much of. Both are equally important.
If you have a yard, take advantage of working directly with Mother Earth! Make your outdoor spaces beautiful whether this space is a yard, balcony, or even just a window.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More