This decadent drink nourishes the body and the heart. Just as the intoxicating smell of a rose flower can stir deep feelings of love, so too can her medicine help us fall in love with life. In herbal medicine, we learn that this sweetness is also paired with protection from the thorns she bares.
The reishi mushroom is well known as an immune modulator, meaning that it doesn't "boost" our immune system, but helps sustain optimal function over long periods of time, which is ultimately more desirable. It gives the drink an earthy element that reminds me of a mocha frappé.
Ashwagandha is added as a nutritive tonic. It helps with brain cognition, while revitalizing the body as it deeply supports the nervous system. It is especially helpful for those who suffer from stress, fatigue or overall depletion.
This drink is starting to resemble a love potion, and you could easily add in cacao powder to throw it over the top ...
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (make sure to stir it)
- 1/2 tsp. rose petal tincture (I used some that I made last summer from soaking fresh petals in brandy with a touch of honey, creating a truly delectable combination)
- 2 tsp. reishi powder
- 1 tsp. ashwagandha powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 Tbsp. honey (unfiltered is optimal and worth every penny)
- 2 drops high quality stevia extract (you could omit this and add more honey, I like to use both)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Big pinch of sea salt
Blend until frothy.
The end result will be a thick, creamy, milkshake-like consistency with a broad spectrum of tastes and nourishing effects on the body. If it's too thick for your liking, simply add a bit of water or milk substitute of your choosing and blend again.